Mirror, mirror on the wall, what is our favorite trend of all? The favorite trend of right now, at least, is mirror print. There’s something fun yet sophisticated about the colorful kaleidoscope pattern when combined with a sleek silhouette. It’s easy to get the look when you shop these closets and more on Poshmark!
We couldn’t be more thrilled to share Tania’s delightful mix of vintage and modern finds in today’s Community Closet Feature. The closet boasts a variety of unique vintage duds as well as bold contemporary pieces to ensure a wardrobe that won’t bore.
Of course we’d be remiss if we didn’t mention this community member’s eye for a stunning covershot; we love her clear images and amazing posing skills! If you’re looking to add a special piece to your own collection or two to ensure an outfit that no one else has, be sure to stop by her closet soon!
Urban Outfitters Navy Polka Dot Layered Skirt: $20
Vintage Plaid Blazer: $20
Vintage Red Polka Dot Tokyo Sweater - $10
Turquoise & Silver Elephant Ring: $6
Vintage Brown Suede Cropped Jacket: $35
Vintage Polka Dot Cropped Chiffon Jacket: $17
Apt 9 Grey Suede Ankle Boots: $6
We know at times it can seem intimidating to try to take the perfect Covershot, and you may think it’ll just be easier to use a beautiful photo that someone else took. That’s when the thought crosses your mind: Is that okay to do?
Read on to get some best practices for using photos you didn’t take:
Even though we’re big fans of their great photography and beautiful pictures (hello, Instagram), whoever took the photo is the copyright holder of that image. They can sell or give permission to use it if they wish. They might even be open to their images being used if you reach out and ask. Others may not mind someone else using their photos at all! However, unless you took the photo, it’s best to assume you don’t have the right to use it.
What if you still want to use photography that isn’t yours? We strongly recommend to:
1. Get permission from the image owner - whether it’s an individual or a company. Don’t be shy! Reach out to the owner of the image for their go-ahead. Most image owners don’t mind as long as you’ve cleared it with them first.
2. When posting the picture, make sure you mention the original owner, link or tag them and other necessary ways to show the image’s source.
3. If you don’t receive permission, use a different image altogether to avoid any sticky situations! Let your personality and creativity shine and take your own photos for listings - it’s the best way for your potential buyer to know exactly what they’ll get when they buy the item!
For more tips on taking Covershots and other product photos, see the links below:
Fashion bloggers and tomorrow’s Posh Party hosts - Kathleen of Kat Walk SF and Caroline of Taste Bluebook - are cozying up to winter’s hottest trend: over-the-knee boots (OTK boots)! Read up on how these stylemakers take this glamorous look and wear it for daytime - along with other tips to stay fashionable through the winter. If you can’t get enough of their style, be sure to join them for their City Chic Posh Party tomorrow night!
1. What are your top wardrobe staples for San Francisco living?
The weather in San Francisco is unpredictable to say the least. My wardrobe choices must include a chance of a 30 degree temperature variance. The key to dressing for unpredictable weather is layering. From your foundation pieces to your outerwear, SF style is all about layering it on.
For me, this means a cami and knee-high socks to start. These pieces are crucial to staying warm and comfortable. From there, I add on a skinny jean, a chunky knit or silky woven, flat boots, a neutral scarf and a tailored coat. The key to true San Francisco style is to dress for any occasion and weather - and also, be prepared to add to it or take it all off at anytime!
2. How do you style OTK boots for a casual daytime look?
OTK boots can definitely be a challenge to style, especially for a daytime look. For this trend, it is always best to stay on the safe side, which means tucking a skinny jean into an OTK boot or wearing a knee length skirt to offset the height of the OTK boot shaft. Keep your daytime OTK look conservative and you will be good to go!
1. How do you cozy up to the OTK boots trend while staying warm?
In the winter, I’m all about layering. It’s just too cold outside and too warm inside to dress only for one temperature - no matter how short your commute in a cold car might be! I never knew I was missing out on over-the-knee boots until I finally got them. Their versatility makes them the ultimate layering piece. My default is skinny jeans or spandex and boots all winter long - why not cover up a little more leg for enhanced style AND added warmth?
2. Where do you look for style inspiration?
Instagram is so full of stylish individuals - bloggers and non-bloggers alike. It’s a great way to get a quick overview of someone’s style before trying to dig through a sea of blogs. IG also the added benefit of being an outlet for those who don’t blog but do share their style.
3. How are you refreshing your closet for the new year?
I recently read an awesome article that talked about “new” essential wardrobe items. We all know that every woman needs a pair of dark wash skinny jeans (even if you only wear them with boots, like I do), a basic black blazer and the always-classic trench. While these closet essentials are staples for a reason, there are a few simple swaps that can add a bit of flavor and personality to your closet.
While I kicked up my workwear collection with the addition of a leather pencil skirt, I like the idea of swapping out one of my basic silk button-down shirts with a loungewear-inspired (silk pajama) top or swapping out the tried-and-true ballet flat for a metallic oxford.
For 2014, have breakfast wearing Tiffany’s! Shop for a weekend outfit that is classic Audrey Hepburn or very Hollywood a la Elizabeth Taylor and fall in love with your wardrobe all over again. LBD, petite peplum skirts, Tiffany’s for everyday? Yes, please! If you love these oh-la-lovely listings, shop these and more at our "Simply Classic" Posh Party tonight!
Go screen-worthy with these listings:
1. Tiffany & Co. Large Heart Tag Pendant: $225
2. Peplum Skirt with Faux Leather Ruffle: $20
3. Louis Vuitton Speedy Handbag: $4200
4. Steve Madden Luxe Crown Heels: $70
5. J. Crew Crystal Drop Earrings: $30
1. Still wondering what a PoshFest ticket with get you? This week we couldn’t contain our excitement anymore and released our PoshFest schedule! Check out our Eventbrite page for all the fabulous panels and awe-inspiring workshops (but stay tuned for our speakers - shhh).
For more information and tickets, visit our Event page!
Buy your ticket today - as space is limited!
2. With Fashion Week heating up the fashion industry, our app has gotten a lot of buzz. Thank you to our fab community for putting us in the spotlight! From Elle India to a feature in WSJ Digits, we’re beyond flattered to be so loved by Poshers near and far. If you have been shopping for a new app in the App Store, did you see us in the Fashion section of the Spotlight page?
3. Who says you can’t wear white after Labor Day? At our Bay Area Community Meet-up at PMHQ last night, we all dared to! We had a beyond fun-tastic time, munching, meeting old and new friends and bonding over our love for Poshmark. Feel free to tag yourself and your friends in the Facebook album!
Couldn’t make it to our Community Meet-up last night? No worries - we’ll host many more at PMHQ in the future!
4. We can’t stop and won’t stop Posh Partying! If you are in Chicago on the 25th or Boston on the 27th, save the date in your social calendars and join us for a fashionably good time.
5. Another season of our #POSHSTYLE Instagram Giveaway is about to start this upcoming Monday at noon.
Do you have a Posh purchase that you can’t wait to style? Take a snap of #PoshStyle outfit and enter for a chance to win $50 in Posh Credits! It’s easy and breezy as enjoying a lazy weekend afternoon!
Visit the blog again on Monday morning for more details!