We know at times it can seem intimidating to try to take the perfect Covershot, and you may think it’ll just be easier to use a beautiful photo that someone else took. That’s when the thought crosses your mind: Is that okay to do?
Read on to get some best practices for using photos you didn’t take:
Even though we’re big fans of their great photography and beautiful pictures (hello, Instagram), whoever took the photo is the copyright holder of that image. They can sell or give permission to use it if they wish. They might even be open to their images being used if you reach out and ask. Others may not mind someone else using their photos at all! However, unless you took the photo, it’s best to assume you don’t have the right to use it.
What if you still want to use photography that isn’t yours? We strongly recommend to:
1. Get permission from the image owner - whether it’s an individual or a company. Don’t be shy! Reach out to the owner of the image for their go-ahead. Most image owners don’t mind as long as you’ve cleared it with them first.
2. When posting the picture, make sure you mention the original owner, link or tag them and other necessary ways to show the image’s source.
3. If you don’t receive permission, use a different image altogether to avoid any sticky situations! Let your personality and creativity shine and take your own photos for listings - it’s the best way for your potential buyer to know exactly what they’ll get when they buy the item!
For more tips on taking Covershots and other product photos, see the links below:
We’ve shared a lot of advice on how to take Covershots in the past, but what about the other three photo shots? Once your Covershot has caught a potential buyer’s eye, you can seal the deal with other amazing shots. Read on for our tips on taking a great product shot:
Your photos will come out clearer if you brace your arm or camera on something stationary. This is especially important in low light situations.
Be Mindful of Your Surroundings
Make sure your foreground and background are clear of anything that may take away from your product shot.
Take Multiple Shots
Multiple shots means more chances at a perfect product shot. Use your device’s camera app to click away as many times as you need to get the shot.
Use Flash Sparingly
Your photos will turn out much better and look more like they do in real life if you keep the flash off and use natural light. If natural light isn’t available, try a brightly lit room rather than overexposing one area of the item you are photographing.
Tap the Screen to Focus
Avoid blurry images by tapping on the item you’re photographing to make the focus crystal clear. This tip is especially important when taking close up shots of your image.
Don’t Over Edit
Sometimes less is more when it comes to after effects. Make sure your additions and changes don’t take away from your amazing photography skills!
Try Something New
Experiment with the types of product shots you take. Get inspiration from fellow Poshers, try arranging items differently and give new angles a try.
We’re sure every Posher can agree, one can never have too many photo enhancing tools in their Posh arsenal. A while back we shared three apps to make your photos shine and we figured we were long overdue in sharing a few more of our favorites.
1. InstaFrame - Free
We’ve all been there; sometimes we want to put multiple images together in one. InstaFrame is one app where you can pull together many images into one great collage. This app also allows you to add fun frames or even add text. Download in iTunes
2. VSCOcam - Free + In-App Purchase
This powerful editing app allows you take your covershot and fine tune every little detail. We love their selection of preset filters and the opportunity to purchase more, but for those who desire more control over their editing, they also have a individual tools to achieve your own final look. Download in iTunes
3. Over - $1.99 + In-App Purchase
Adding text to a Covershot is a fun way to easily communicate small details about your listing. The app Over allows you to add beautiful text and fun icons to your images. They have a great selection of attractive fonts and a few icon packs with the opportunity to purchase additional options. Download in iTunes
Whether you like to jazz up your Covershots with a fun frame, or enhanced with fabulous filters, have fun and let your photos shine!
From puppy cameos to accessories galore, our #POSHSTYLE Instagram Giveaway had some wow-worthy Covershots that absolutely won us over. We wanted to feature a few of our favorites - and it’s easy to see with the pops of color and print (and all that sass) why our Poshmark community are inspirations of style.
Even though our giveaway is officially over (for now), we think that great style never sleeps and encourage you to continue showing us how you #POSHSTYLE your favorite Posh purchases on Instagram! It’s never goodbye, it’s we’ll see you later!
Sometimes the most eye-catching things are the simplest.
We love Fel’s closet for her clean covershots and phenomenal lighting technique. But let’s not forget the great closet staples she has - we love everything she’s selling! Hurry on over to grab your new favorite bag or perfect date-night pumps:
Our Poshmark community has some serious photo talent out there! We have fallen in love with so many Covershots on Poshmark that we were inspired to feature them here on our blog and even made a Pinterest board! Show off your own gorgeous Covershots by tagging us on Instagram or Twitter and if you are as inspired as we are, be sure to follow along our “Poshmark Covershots" board on Pinterest.
1. The SF Chronicle recently did an article on fashion in the tech industry, and Poshmark was featured in the column’s lookbook. The photos highlighted the styles of our engineers, our co-founders, and some of our Posh Ladies in their bright and bold outfits. Check us out in this week’s SF Unzipped!
2. This past Wednesday we held our first Community Meetup in our newly designed office. The entire evening was one fashionably good time, filled with photo booths, signature Poshmark cocktails (yum!), and an amazing community of current and future Poshers in the area.
If you’re interested in checking out the rest of the photos from the night, browse through the Facebook album!
As you can tell, we’re excited for the next one!
3. Get ready, glamour gals! Next Monday, we’re launching a special giveaway for our community members who love showing off their “Posh Style”. If you love winning shopping sprees, stay tuned to the blog for the details!
4. We recently dolled up our Pinterest with new boards and a cleaner layout! If you’re sweet and stylish, you might love our new dessert board with some couture cupcakes and other fashionable desserts. We also added a new board featuring some Pinterest-worthy Poshmark covershots that we just had to share. Check them both out on Pinterest!
5. Since we’re mad about social media and the fashion industry, we can’t help but share our favorite internet list of the week from Buzzfeed: 10 Male Models You Must Follow On Twitter and Instagram Immediately! WIth this list and the poolside, be sure to have a happy weekend!
From dancing to Beyonce to preparing for Denver, there’s no end to the amount of working hard and playing hard at PMHQ. Here’s another week of crazy lovin’ what we do:
1. Insta-videos are the perfect opportunity for insta-hilarity at PMHQ. We turned up Beyonce and danced the afternoon away for our debut insta-video. All our single ladies (and taken ones, too) and our gents wanted to show our Poshmark community how much love lives at HQ … and of course, our dance moves! Check it out:
2. Denver divas, Poshmark is jet-setting off to Denver for our first ever Posh Party in Colorado! We can’t wait to see some Mile High style and be sure to RSVP by July 1st! For more information, check out our blog post.
3. We absolutely heart cute and original cover shots, especially with stylish canine companions! Send us your fabulous covershots by tagging us on Twitter or Instagram. Here is our favorite for the week:
4. Happy early birthday, America! Fourth of July is coming up next week, and we are planning on shopping this weekend for the perfect outfit. We’re especially inspired by perfectly patriotic outfits on Pinterest like this one! What are you going to wear for Independence Day?
5. Hello, sparkles! This glitter glam listing received so much love from our Posh community this week that we can’t help but share it on our blog. It’s still available for purchase, so treat yourself today and have a happy Friday!
My name is Simonett and I’m the co-founder of Miami Style Mafia, a directory and guild for Miami’s top tier fashion creatives and influencers to connect and collaborate. The blog portion of MSM documents the latest characters, happenings, and settings in our city, and our store (coming soon!) will provide a selection of items reflecting the latest trends and innovation in design curated by yours truly!
Six months ago, I hosted a live Miami Posh Party, and since then, I’ve gained over 100,000 Poshmark followers, and I’ve been able to sell close to 400 items in my closet! Not only has this generated a new form of monetary income for me (woot, woot) but it has changed the way I shop, act, and even think!
After Poshmark, I allow myself to buy those expensive luxury pieces, wear it once, and then sell it to someone who will practically be getting a brand new dress for a fraction of the original cost AND I only paid the difference between what I bought and sold it for. This way, I’m always recycling my closet and have new stuff to wear all the time (very convenient when you are a blogger and have 2-5 events to host and attend on a weekly basis).
But enough on my success story and ardent love story with Poshmark. You’re here to learn how you can increase your sales and become just as successful at getting rid of all those items that haven’t seen the light of day.
Presentation is one of the (if not THE) most important factors in being successful at making sales. In this post, I’m going to tell you about a few tips and tricks that have helped me to sell up to 50 items in my Poshmark closet on a weekly basis.
Tip 1: Setting
As a seller, it’s important to keep in mind your own personal behavior as a buyer. Ask yourself this question: “Would you be more inclined to purchase an item displayed at a beautiful, well lit, clean environment or at an unpleasant, dark and messy space?” Odds are the answer to that question is the first option. If you are taking your photos at home, pick the area of your house that you are most proud of in terms of ambiance and design.
For me, this area is my living room. The white walls, furniture and floor to ceiling windows allow for natural lighting (which in my opinion is optimal) and contrast between the background and the items I am modeling.
Tip 2: Photo Variety
Always try to include as many photos of the item you are trying to sell as possible. Remember, she isn’t there to try the item on or see it for themselves in person, so the more photos you provide of the item will give the user a better idea of what the item really looks like.
I always try to include (1) a full front shot of the product on, (2) a full back shot of the product on, (3) a full front shot of the product flat and (4) a detail shot of the product flat. This way, the user has a good visual of item in several different angles and dimensions.
For the cover photo, I recommend always picking a shot of the item on. I take most of my cover photos by myself in the mirror. If you are not comfortable with trying the items on for the photo, then place the item on a mannequin. You can find very affordable plastic ones online that can conveniently hang on a wall or door for you to snap the photo.
The flat item photos look best when hung on a wall or laid on a flat surface (preferably white or a light color to contrast with the item).
Tip 3: Editing
I take most of my Poshmark listing photos on my iPhone. The camera on it is pretty amazing but sometimes the lighting and coloring of the photos can be less than great depending on the environment in which the photos were taken.
Considering the fact that I take my photos using natural lighting, if I take a photo past 4 PM – it sometimes may appear dark and with a greenish tone to it. For correcting these issues, I recommend using apps like Snapseed and Photoshop Express. These apps have tools that can modify the exposure and tonality of your iPhone photos.
I really hope that these tips result to be helpful for all of you here at the Poshmark community! If you want to see more examples of how I’ve put these techniques into practice in my listings, check out my closet at: poshmark.com/closet/_simonett