My name is Simonett and I’m the co-founder of Miami Style Mafia, a directory and guild for Miami’s top tier fashion creatives and influencers to connect and collaborate. The blog portion of MSM documents the latest characters, happenings, and settings in our city, and our store (coming soon!) will provide a selection of items reflecting the latest trends and innovation in design curated by yours truly!
Six months ago, I hosted a live Miami Posh Party, and since then, I’ve gained over 100,000 Poshmark followers, and I’ve been able to sell close to 400 items in my closet! Not only has this generated a new form of monetary income for me (woot, woot) but it has changed the way I shop, act, and even think!
After Poshmark, I allow myself to buy those expensive luxury pieces, wear it once, and then sell it to someone who will practically be getting a brand new dress for a fraction of the original cost AND I only paid the difference between what I bought and sold it for. This way, I’m always recycling my closet and have new stuff to wear all the time (very convenient when you are a blogger and have 2-5 events to host and attend on a weekly basis).
But enough on my success story and ardent love story with Poshmark. You’re here to learn how you can increase your sales and become just as successful at getting rid of all those items that haven’t seen the light of day.
Presentation is one of the (if not THE) most important factors in being successful at making sales. In this post, I’m going to tell you about a few tips and tricks that have helped me to sell up to 50 items in my Poshmark closet on a weekly basis.
Tip 1: Setting
As a seller, it’s important to keep in mind your own personal behavior as a buyer. Ask yourself this question: “Would you be more inclined to purchase an item displayed at a beautiful, well lit, clean environment or at an unpleasant, dark and messy space?” Odds are the answer to that question is the first option. If you are taking your photos at home, pick the area of your house that you are most proud of in terms of ambiance and design.
For me, this area is my living room. The white walls, furniture and floor to ceiling windows allow for natural lighting (which in my opinion is optimal) and contrast between the background and the items I am modeling.
Tip 2: Photo Variety
Always try to include as many photos of the item you are trying to sell as possible. Remember, she isn’t there to try the item on or see it for themselves in person, so the more photos you provide of the item will give the user a better idea of what the item really looks like.
I always try to include (1) a full front shot of the product on, (2) a full back shot of the product on, (3) a full front shot of the product flat and (4) a detail shot of the product flat. This way, the user has a good visual of item in several different angles and dimensions.
For the cover photo, I recommend always picking a shot of the item on. I take most of my cover photos by myself in the mirror. If you are not comfortable with trying the items on for the photo, then place the item on a mannequin. You can find very affordable plastic ones online that can conveniently hang on a wall or door for you to snap the photo.
The flat item photos look best when hung on a wall or laid on a flat surface (preferably white or a light color to contrast with the item).
Tip 3: Editing
I take most of my Poshmark listing photos on my iPhone. The camera on it is pretty amazing but sometimes the lighting and coloring of the photos can be less than great depending on the environment in which the photos were taken.
Considering the fact that I take my photos using natural lighting, if I take a photo past 4 PM – it sometimes may appear dark and with a greenish tone to it. For correcting these issues, I recommend using apps like Snapseed and Photoshop Express. These apps have tools that can modify the exposure and tonality of your iPhone photos.
I really hope that these tips result to be helpful for all of you here at the Poshmark community! If you want to see more examples of how I’ve put these techniques into practice in my listings, check out my closet at: poshmark.com/closet/_simonett
October? Is that really you?! While we can’t believe that time is flying as fast as it is, we are so excited for another fashion-filled month! Between new Posh Parties, updates of the Poshmark app, and just all around fall-fashion-fun, here is our round up of highlights this week!
1. App Update! Have you updated to the newest version of Poshmark? If not, what are you waiting for? There’s a slew of new features including sharing your Poshmark Closet to Instagram, reporting and blocking users, and being able to filter through sold items!
2. Posh Party Heaven. This week’s Posh Parties blew.us.away. Not only did we have the highest number of listings at our “Girly Girl” party, but last night we had the highest number of listings shared to our “Host Picks Showroom,” with a whopping 202 listings!
3. Instalove. We have been feeling SO much love from our users via Instagram! Between outfit posts with Poshmark pieces styled up, your packages ready to be shipped, and sharing your Poshmark closets, we are definitely feeling oh-so-happy to see your pics! Keep ‘em coming (and don’t forget to tag us @Poshmark)!
4. Support the Cause. October kicks of Breast Cancer Awareness Month and we definitely want to take a moment to show our support for all the fighters and their families! There are some great fashion collaborations out there where proceeds go to help finding a cure, so be sure to check these out: Essie, LOFT, & Oia Jules.
"It’s amazing what we can accomplish when we’re in it together." -Essie
5. Fall-ing Hard. As the season changes before our very eyes, we’re getting even more excited to start adding warmer layers, hanging out by the fireplace, and snuggling up with our loved ones (including our pets!). Until then, we have started a new Pinterest board to document our favorite fall looks. Be sure to follow along!
It’s true: Miami is hot, but the ladies here are even more caliente! We had the pleasure of Posh Partying it up with the town’s most fashionable last night and had such a wonderful time. Between our HILARIOUS, gorgeous and sweet co-hosts, the tropical-esque location at Shore Club, and the fun in-app Posh Party, the evening was beyond a success.
Major hugs and kisses to our hosts Daniela, Kristin, Annie, Karla, Simonett, and Eugy. We can’t wait to see you ladies again soon!
Didn’t make it to the live party? Not to worry! You can still Shop the “Girls’ night Out” Party and the closets of our hosts…and trust us, these are some closets you do not want to miss!
Check out all the pictures of the event on the Poshmark Facebook Page!
P.S If you attended the party in person last night and entered our Instagram Hashtag contest, we will be announcing the winner soon. Stay tuned!
That’s right! We’re heading to the land of beauty and beaches for the first time and what better way to bring on the fun evening than by throwing a LIVE “Girls’ Night Out” Posh Party! We’re teaming up with six amazing Miami-based style bloggers and all-around cool gals, who will be opening up their closets on Poshmark for you to shop!
If you’re local, we’d love to have you join us! Come mingle, meet, shop, and have a cocktail with the Poshmark team and our co-hosts! Simply shoot us a note to email@example.com by September 26th to get on the guest list (space is limited).
If you’re not in Miami, don’t you worry! Join us virtually through the Poshmark app for plenty of Poshmark fun from wherever you may be. Be ready to shop or list all your Girls’ Night Out essentials, including dresses, heels, clutches, and more!
Hope to see you there!
New York Fashion Week has come and gone. We went, we saw, and we’re totally inspired with everything from the spring runway shows, to the fab street style captured throughout all of NYC. Here are some of our NYFW highlights…not to mention an exciting announcement!
1. #NYFWPoshParty: We added a few additional Posh Parties during the day this week to celebrate NYFW. In addition to the amazing listings that coincided with the runway shows themselves, we asked some fun fashion and style questions and want to thank you for joining in on the fashion week Posh Party fun in the app! We hope to have more parties like this in the future because we love hearing what you have to say about your style and how you feel about different trends. In case you missed these Posh Parties, don’t you worry- you can still shop the parties here: “NYFW: Rebecca Minkoff, Nicole Miller & Herve Leger" ,"NYFW: Tory Burch, Zac Posen, & Anna Sui”, & “NYFW: Michael Kors, Rachel Zoe, Nanette Lepore, & Milly”.
2. DVF through Google Glasses: We’re suckers for all-things fashion + tech (for obvious reasons, of course!). That’s why one of our favorite things that popped up post-fashion week came from the ever-inspiring Diane Von Furstenberg. She partnered wit Google Glass to show the world first-hand what it’s like to BE DVF, preparing for fashion week with her team, and what it looks like strutting down the runway. Love.
3. Hangout. Google Style: Another awesome fashion-meets-tech highlight for us was when Lyst invited a handful of ladies (a few a which are local SF friends and Poshmark users) to a Google Hangout to ask questions and interact backstage with different designers and industry peeps! This is inpsiring us to host our own Google Hangout in the future for you! Would you attend?!
4. “Get the Look”: We had a blast recreating a few of our favorite Street Style looks from NYFW using Poshmark finds! We will be doing these posts regularly now so be on the look out on how you can find complete looks on the app!
5. Miami here we come! If you heard our teaser announcement on Twitter, then you now know that the Poshmark team is heading to MIAMI! We will be there 9/27 throwing a LIVE Posh Party with some really fab hosts, so be sure to save the date! We’d love to have you join us in person or in the app. Keep a look out for all the details on our blog next week!